There is almost nothing more delectable than a warm biscuit dripping with melted butter and slathered with jam. Often, I am in the mood for these little treats, but the thought of mixing, rolling out, cutting, and then doing it over and over again until the dough is used up seems like just too much work. Enter the Best Buttermilk Drop Biscuit recipe… you will have everything you need in the pantry already, it is easy to mix, quick to bake, and when you serve them, people will think that they took you all afternoon to make!
Best Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Yields: 12 biscuits, if you’re careful about apportioning out the dough
Time to make: 25 minutes
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
¾ tsp. salt
1 stick + 2 tbsp. butter
1 cup buttermilk (I use 1 T. of white vinegar per cup of milk to make my own)
2. Melt the 1 stick butter and let cool about 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and the buttermilk, and stir until clumps form.
5. Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients until just incorporated and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Using a ¼ cup dry measure, scoop out and drop 12 balls of dough onto the baking sheet (this is easier if you spray the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray).
8. Bake until the tops are golden brown, about 14 minutes.
9. Let cool on a wire rack.
10. Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and brush the tops of the biscuits with the butter before serving.