Our co-op was canceled several weeks ago due to a bug that made its way through the group, affecting students and teachers alike. The following week, we read Jamberry and Bread and Jam for Frances and made butter and no-cook strawberry jam.
No-Cook Strawberry Jam
2 quarts strawberries
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup light corn syrup
1 ¾ to 2 oz. package dry pectin
4 ½ cups sugar
1. Crush strawberries using either a potato masher or food processor. Place in a large bowl.
2. Add lemon juice and pectin and mix thoroughly. Continue mixing every five minutes for ½ hour in order to allow pectin to completely dissolve.
3. Add corn syrup and mix again.
4. Slowly add sugar and continue stirring well.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Jar with a lid
1. Fill jar half full of cream and screw the lids on tightly.
2. Shake the jar. After about several minutes, the cream will be whipped and after another minute or so, lumps of yellow butter will form.
3. Rinse off the liquid whey and add a little salt, if desired.
4. Spread on bread or biscuits and top with jam. Will keep in the fridge.