This recipe can be “doctored” any way that pleases the maker! The original recipe calls for a cake mix, but I’ve made it from scratch as well. If you make it from scratch, omit the pudding and extra ingredients. Focus instead on frosting and toppings.
In the interest of full disclosure, we rarely make these as written, typically omitting the candy, although one does make a pretty centerpiece! You can also skip the waffle bowls and make these in traditional muffin tins. They are quite large when made as directed, and one cake can easily be shared between 2 people.
Easter Basket Cupcakes
Adapted from Cupcakes! From the Cake Mix Doctor.
Waffle bowls (10 or so)
1 package (18.25 oz) plain white cake mix
1 package (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Green food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the outside of each waffle bowl in aluminum foil, tucking the edges of the foil just inside the top of the bowl. Place the bowls on a cookie sheet and set aside.
2. Place the cake mix, pudding, milk, oil, eggs, and egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds or so. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue blending on medium for another 2 minutes. Fill each waffle bowl with 1/2 cup or so of batter.
3. Bake the cupcakes for 25 minutes or until they test done. Let the cakes cool for five minutes then carefully remove the foil and continue cooling to room temperature.
4. While you wait, prepare your favorite frosting!
5. Place the coconut in a plastic bag with several drops of food coloring (I use this and recommend mixing to make green before adding to the coconut). Shake well until the coconut turns green. Add more coloring as needed.
6. To assemble, frost each cupcake then immediately sprinkle on coconut to resemble grass and place a pile of jelly beans on the middle to resemble eggs. To create the basket handle, shape one Twizzler into the correct shape and insert it into the cupcake.
7. Serve and enjoy!