Saturday, June 2, 2007

F-A-S-C-I-N-A-T-I-N-G

We watched the National Spelling Bee a few nights ago. It occurred to me while watching that the state of things in America can't be all bad if the National Spelling Bee is popular enough to be broadcast during Prime Time by a major network!

I enjoyed watching and was thoroughly impressed by the kids especially since I had a terrible time understanding the words when spoken by the judge/moderator. I had no idea what he was saying, it was so garbled. Sometimes it seemed like the kids couldn't really understand him either. Luckily they were able to figure it out based on the etymology, meaning, etc. Maybe I'm losing some hearing because even with the Closed Captioning I wasn't exactly sure what was happening.

I was tickled too that a homeschooler won. I could tell the minute they gave him the word he knew it. He asked for the definition, etc. just as a matter of course, it seemed. Then rattled off s-e-r-r-e-f-i-n-e. Not too unusual for the Bee, but I had a moment of, "Take that public school system!"

3 comments:

  1. So cool that a homeschooler won! My oldest DD got to go to her first spelling bee last year. She did pretty good, too. I love spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that spelling-bee made me feel not-so-smart!!!! We watched it too.

    I'm having a WORST Father of sorts....come check it out....even if your dad is Father of the Year!

    http://www.fenicle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney - I miss you! Hope all is well. You've been very quiet lately...(((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete