Sunday, March 6, 2011

Back to Co-op!

After a hiatus of a few months due to the birth of the baby and our move, we were back at our homeschool co-op Friday. The group is made up of around 60 families and offers a variety of classes from preschool to high school. We love it! This session, I am teaching "Book Cooks," a cooking class that draws inspiration and recipes from favorite books. Big Brother is also taking chorus and and arts and crafts class. During this session, I'm planning to share the plans and recipes from my class for your enjoyment and inspiration as well. (The picture shows everything I had to bring with me! The kitchen is fairly well stocked for equipment, but I still needed a hand mixer, blender, two saucepans, containers for the kids to take food home, not to mention all the food!)

Since March 2 is Dr. Suess's birthday, this week was of course devoted to Seuss! I wanted to do something different than the standard green eggs and ham and since Fox in Socks is the current favorite in our house, I looked there for inspiration. What did I find?

BLUE GOO!

It took me a bit of time to figure out how to translate blue goo to my class, but I settled on goo you can eat and goo you can play with.

Blue Goo (to Eat)

Ingredients
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold blueberry juice
3 cups blueberry juice, heated to boiling
Blueberries

Directions
1. Sprinkle gelatin over cold juice in a large bowl; let stand one minute.
2. Add hot juice and stir until gelatin completely dissolves.
3. Pour into 9 x 13 pan or individual serving cups.
4. Once the juice feels cool to the touch, add the blueberries.
5. Refrigerate until firm, about three hours.
6. Enjoy with whipped cream or plain!

Blue Goo (to Play)

Ingredients
2 cups cold water
1 packet of blue drink mix (such as Kool-Aid)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 teaspoons cream of tartar

Directions
1. Mix together the water, the drink mix, and the vegetable oil.
2. In a sauce pan, mix together the flour, salt, and cream of tartar.
3. Slowly add the liquid to the sauce pan and stir.
4. Cook the mixture over medium heat until it looks like mashed potatoes. Remove from heat and cool.
5. When the dough is cool, knead it until it’s smooth. This will last a long time if you store it in a covered container.
Noodles from the tweetle beetle battle may have been easier, but this was much more fun!

I also adapted a recipe from Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook for Cat in the Hat Comes Back tub cakes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment