Monday, April 2, 2007

Country Kitchen

Our kitchen is in the "new" part of house. I'm guessing that the newer part of the house was built around 1900.


You come into the kitchen from a door off the driveway. There's a small vestibule between the outer and inner doors and a coat closet to the left. The refrigerator is next to the stove, just out of the frame.




As you can see, there's a second outside door that leads to a small porch on the other side of the room. Our wind chimes are hanging out there and can be heard throughout the house.


To the right of the door I'm standing at is the sink/counter:


To the left of the coat closet is the pantry/laundry room:

There's a door next to the cardboard box that leads into DH's workshop. He hasn't even begun to unpack, so no peeking there!

Back into the kitchen. To the right of the table is the amazing cupboard unit that is original to the house. On either side of it, you can also see through the doorways into the dining room (currently box central).

Now for a few closeups. Here is the "antique" kitchen island we bought this weekend. As you can see, I have very limited counter space, so this is where I'm doing most of my meal prep and also storing all my baking supplies.

The cupboard above it was here when we moved in, but I'm not sure if it's original or not. Definitely old, though! We're hoping it can be moved up a few more inches so I can keep the knives on the island too. Storing those safely has been an issue! The handles are too long for any of our drawers.

Last but not least, the inset shelves where I'm displaying my cat cookie jar and mugs. The canisters have rice and coffee in them. I had nowhere else to put them, even though they're out of place with the cat motif. I don't use them too much, so even though they're out of the way, it's not a huge inconvenience.

The kitchen is charming and I love it, but very inconvenient all the way around. There's no way to really create a workable system for storage and meal prep. I'm getting into a groove, but it's definitely not a Lillian Gilbreth "efficiency" kitchen!

2 comments:

  1. What a charming kitchen, Courtney! I love the floors and built in cupboard!I can't wait to see more:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's little man adjusting to the new digs? And how are the cats adjusting?

    ReplyDelete