Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Day in the Life

I had a suggestion to write a post (including pictures!) of a day in our household. Yesterday I tried to make note and photograph most of what I did during the day. I hope I can remember everything! I know I forgot to take pictures a few times.

Upon waking yesterday morning, I aired the beds, dressed in my walking attire, then dressed and cleaned up my Sidekick. Once we got downstairs, DS headed for his toys and I hopped online to check my e-mail for a few minutes. The Little Guy and I had breakfast and I had a phone call from a friend.

I fell behind on laundry over the weekend. I blame the weatherman because he had predicted thunderstorms for Saturday, so I was afraid to hang out the laundry. Wouldn't you know it, Saturday was fine and Sunday was foul, and as a result by Monday morning I was facing Mt. Laundry!

I sorted and started the first load and while DS ran around I straightened up the table and washed the dishes.

The kitchen was a disaster too after a busy weekend. Somehow the Sunday paper, half read, always manages to take over the table. I reshelved some books while I waited for the washer to finish its cycle.

We hung out the first load of laundry and DS ran around picking flowers and playing in his climbing cube. I started the second load and while the wash was washing, we went for our walk!

Once we returned home, I hung the second load of wash outside. Once we came back in the house, I nursed the Little Guy and read a few blogs and updated mine. After that, we headed upstairs so I could take a shower and make the beds.

We came back downstairs for lunch. After lunch, I made the hummingbird nectar and set it in the fridge to cool. While it was cooling, I started the diapers in the washer. DS and I had some playtime, and I tried unsuccessfully to get him down for a nap. After hanging the diapers to dry in the sun, we came inside to test the new breadmaker (Honey Wheat)!

Once the breadmaker was started, the nectar was cool enough to hang back outside. It seemed like my Sidekick had decided against a nap, I did a quick clean of the downstairs bathroom then we hauled ourselves upstairs to do a deep-clean of the upstairs bathroom.

By the time I had finished that (DS watched from his swing), it was 4:00 and I was pooped! We settled on the couch to read Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel and then Moo, Baa, La La La. I can't remember exactly what we did after that, but I know I eventually wandered in to the kitchen to start thinking about supper.

Around 5:00, DH came home very excited because the new ignitor we had ordered for the oven came in! He decided to fix it while I made supper (French Toast, ham, and fruit). I had scrambled around earlier in the day for something that didn't require the use of my oven since it hasn't been heating for the past week or so.

He was victorious in no time at all! Yay! After supper, I cleaned up the kitchen and DH and DS played the organ for a little while. I retrieved the wash from outside to fold.

By that time, the bread was done and we just had to sample it! Not bad for the first attempt with a new breadmaker!

We relaxed on the couch for a little while and had some ice cream then I checked my e-mail one more time then took the Little Guy upstairs to get him ready for bed. I folded the laundry and put it away in between nursing DS down for bed (several times).

After that it was time for my bedtime routine and sleep-- at least until the next time DS woke to nurse!


  1. What a busy day! The bread looks yummy.

    We also have a gas stove, LOVE it! We paid extra for it as an upgrade, and have never regretted it.

  2. First of all, I *love* how you call your little one Your sidekick! It's like the two of you are superheroes from "The Incredibles"!

    Secondly, I really enjoyed this post and the accompanying pictures! You accomplished a lot!

    BTW, will you share more about the hummingbird nectar and the feeder you use? I have no idea if we could draw any hummingbird to our house, but I'd love to try!

  3. It was an unusually busy day!

    Emma, I will try to do that tomorrow. I know DH captured a few good pictures of the birds earlier in the summer. I'll try to locate them!